More NG30 stuff in progress....

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

After many frusturating delays, I have finished the model:

My question now is, how do I export it? When I click export, the only type of file that it can be exported as is "plasma (*.P3D)". Is there a plugin for gmax to export the correct type of file?
nwhitney

Post by nwhitney »

That looks GOOD!. Must be you didn't start gmax from Trainz Asset Creation Studio. Goto http://www.44090digitalmodels.co.uk and download the first tutorial which explains setting up gmax for Trainz.
Again, nice job.
Norm
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Yes there is a special add on for Gmax and Trainz.

LOOKIN' GOOD!!!

:D
Last edited by thegrindre on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
TRS 2004 Deluxe Edition v2.4 Build 2365
Creating in 3D Canvas Pro
Web site = http://allricksstuff.com/
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Seems to be a double post, here... Hmmm :oops:
Last edited by thegrindre on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rick
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Very nice job!
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

Glad you all like it, and thanks for the help. I should have it working soon now.
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

I got the car to show up in trainz, but have a slight problem.

None of the attachments seem to work right. I did not do anything to change them in gmax and the config I used is coppied form the flatcar's one, but the bogeys and couplers don't show up.

It does couple, but at the wrong spot.

I suspect that for some reason it is coupling where the mesh for the coupler should attach, rather than where it should couple.

Any idea whats wrong now?
nwhitney

Post by nwhitney »

As a suggestion, I would delete all your attachment points, then go to Top view and add all your points from there. That way they'll be oriented correctly. Whatever you name your back coupler point should be rotated 180º. From the top view, click on the point, make sure the restrict to z box is active in the main toolbar, the go down to co-ordinate window and type 180 in the z little window.
Norm
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Or you might try merging the old attachment points from the flatcar back into your scene. Also make sure the system units are set to meters. The display units can be set to anything (yes, there are two different places to set the units in GMAX)
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

Oops, I think it was probably the units. I am almost shure that they arent metric. I already knew that they need to be metric, I just compleatly ignored it. :oops:
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

It works!

It turns out that the reason for the attachments not working was that they were hidden. When I unhid them it made evrything work.

I still need to make it work with bulk loads. I hadn't realized the bogeys for the flat car and the box car were different, so I guess I will need to reskin them myself to get a good match.
nwhitney

Post by nwhitney »

:lol: Done that before. Good job.
Norm
Trainzsam

Post by Trainzsam »

nwhitney wrote::lol: Done that before. Good job.
Norm
Yep, I've been there and, it can be a real pain in the neck sometimes... by the way.... some small 30in gauge coaches might be in order... I'll have to try one. By the way(again lol)... I'm going to get back to work on my mallet and do a brand new 30in gauge one too! It will be either an 0-6-6-0t or an 0-6-6-2t.

Sam
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

He he, you got it!
Looks great.
You can 'steal' my textures if you want too... :wink: Maybe a little copy and paste will work. :D
Last edited by thegrindre on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

Sam
Since you brought up the comment of coaches, I have a little proposition to address to you (and everyone) -
Currently, Norm and myself are working on a couple of specialities that are 30in scale. Somewhere down the line I had considered converting a few of Narrowgauge's Sandy River coaches to a larger gauge. Considering some other stuff we've done, 30in would fit just fine.

What to you think if we converted two of them, one with a clerestory roof and one without, and submitted them for everyone's approval?
Granted now that it may take a couple of weeks but I think it's do-able. And besides, it might save you a little work. I already have them converted to passenger-interactive.

Ken

And BTW - I think the 30in mallets will be a FINE addition to the group.
"Floundering Around in Mediocrity For No Particular Reason...."