30ng Coach Bogeys

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Col Hogan

30ng Coach Bogeys

Post by Col Hogan »

After it's all said and done with all the utility cars, bogey's and loco's, what we need now is a 30" gauge coach bogey. Norm and I will be working on some re-makes of Peter's Sandy River coaches and converting them to 30" gauge and also a kit-bash or two. (He's becoming quite the renovator from the Gmax files, you know.) :lol:

The one bogey I had thought of as far as the total look goes, would be Elvenors 36" passenger bogey < 63290:50030:2 >.
Since we can't get the Gmax files, I'm wondering if a close copy could be done in 30" gauge. I couln't find one on DLS.

Curtis has done several SG versions in different colors. We need a 30" one in black and another one a little rusty.
Curtis, if you're watching, can one of yours be changed out ? :roll:

Ken
"Floundering Around in Mediocrity For No Particular Reason...."
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Sure, I can knock something together relatively quickly. I just need a couple of dimensions from you:
wheel spacing (distance between the axles)
and
wheel size (diameter)

Or, if you want to try the modifications yourself, I believe there's a set of passenger bogey source files on the rolling stock downloads page: http://www.carsoncarshops.com/downloads ... _stock.htm
Check the UP caboose for one set; one or more of the other cars may also include bogeys in the zip files, but I don't remember for sure.
Col Hogan

30ng Coach Bogeys

Post by Col Hogan »

Hey Curtis
This has taken me all week to get back but I lost a $130.00 power supply and from a few other modifications that took from Monday til today, I am finally back. The unit just went Ka-Flooey!! like the lights went out.

Anywhoo, Norm and I are putting together a shortened version of a combine and it would need a set of adjusted bogeys. I will discuss it with him and make sure we put on the proper ones or have you re-adjust the ones you have in stock.

Thank you for the help.
Ken
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that.

Anyway; I've posted the source files for the ng30 bogeys now, so if you decide to roll your own, that might help a bit.

Good luck!
Curtis
nwhitney

Post by nwhitney »

Say Curtis,
As you are the only person I know that has any information about 30 inch stuff, what would be the proper truck under a passenger car 30 inch gauge? I was thinking that I had your wooden frame truck mesh, but I was mistaken, again. My guess would be 22-1/2 inch ribbed back wheels on either 4 or 4-1/2 foot center to center. I shortened your archbar truck to 30 inch, but I guess they're not appropriate. Right now the car measures 22-1/2 feet between coupler faces. Thanks for any info.
Norm
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Heh - the only 30" stuff I know anything about is the Eureka Mill RR; and they didn't have any passenger cars. I'll take a look through some NG&SLG, though, and see if I can come up with any plans.

Curtis
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

Hey Guys :D
Maybe I have an idea to help since I've tried to do some reseaarch on these. One thing I thought of was to ask Whitepass to re-gauge one of his 36ng White Pass & Yukon coach bogeys. Of course he would need some dimensions for the new coach height with bolsters. And besides, the Eureka Mines RR would need an executive coach at some point. Right ?

If this is somewhat agreeable, I'll send a note his way.

Ken 8)
nwhitney

Post by nwhitney »

Can't hurt. :D
Norm
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Col Hogan wrote:And besides, the Eureka Mines RR would need an executive coach at some point. Right ?
Heh - being only about a mile long, probably not ;)

Anyway, yeah, 4' to 5' centers looks appropriate. I scaled down a SG truck to fit the wheels I did for the EMRR cars; it came out to just over 4' center-to-center. Feel free to make any additional modifications:
http://www.carsoncarshops.com/files/ng3 ... ruck_2.zip

edit: these should use any of the textures from my passenger truck 2 series
nwhitney

Post by nwhitney »

That looks great! Thanks alot. I'll ship 'er out to Ken and see what he thinks.
Norm