3DC rolling stock in 3' NG

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Whoa, there, Sam,
I'm in need of the bogeys only. I can't animate at this time so need a little help with the animation part of it. You know, trucks, side gears, cyclinders, etc.
I can build the model but it would be less the animated parts.

Send me those building plans, I'll look them over for ya.

:D
Rick
TRS 2004 Deluxe Edition v2.4 Build 2365
Creating in 3D Canvas Pro
Web site = http://allricksstuff.com/
Trainzsam

Post by Trainzsam »

Oohhhhh... I though you wanted me to build the whole loco. Ok then, how about this, You can build the superstructure and then I'll modify the shay's "monkey motion" to fit it. Sound good? By-the-way, I still have to scan the building plans, so I'll do that ASAP. Its a fairly large structure with three parts to it.

Sam
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Ya, that's what I'm needing help with, the 'monkey motion'.

Don't forget some colored shots for texturing on those buildings.

Rick
Trainzsam

Post by Trainzsam »

It seems like the scanner won't be up and running for a while, so how about you build me a small freelanced engine shed big enough for Ben's Georgia Power #30. Sound good? Use that slightly weathered red and put some nice wood shingles on it. Just go easy on the polys, OK? I'm going to have it right smack in the middle of a great big sawmill area. Thanks!

Sam
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

No photos, or dimensions??? Freelanced is gotta be it, then. :roll: Easy on the polys, too, huh? OK, I'll whip one up, Sam...

Oops, I can't find the #30 engine. Been to his site and don't know which one it is. Searched all my content and apparently don't have it.
Need more info on this baby...

Rick
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Just about finished with this one,

Gotta add those couplers to the Blacksmith car and she'll be about ready, too.

Rick
Trainzsam

Post by Trainzsam »

Lets see, Its on his website on the SG downloads page under the name "Alco Stock 0-4-0t.

Sam
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Well, no wonder I don't have it, it's a late model standard gauge engine. LOL

Got it, now and will start a low poly engine shed for ya.

Rick
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

I need to stop dissapearing :roll: . I was trying to make a ng30 version of Shagster's shay shay too! I did some serious changes to evrything, so about the only thing that is the same is the runing gear and the bunker. I already reguaged the trucks, so if anyone wants the files for them I can post either the assets themselvs, or the source files. I dont think mine is anything like what you are talking about, but I will post a picture of it incase we end up with 2 of the same :wink:
Last edited by Mrail on Fri May 16, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

Ok, Here is that engine. The modeling is actualy done, I just never get around to textureing it. Without the textues the cab looks a bit odd, but it is suposed to be a crude homebuilt woden one. I will probably make another with a more normal looking cab too someday.

Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

Mrail, I gotta tell ya, whatever you do to that Shay, it doesn't matter. Literally, while they operated, there were many distinct changes to them
    because of the nature of the lumber company and their specific uses. For the most part, the cab will not matter to many of us if you're wondering about 'prototypical-ness' (?) With logging companies, the 'norm' was not normal (he he he).

Make it the way you know how and send it out to us and we'll be the judges for you. And when you finish it, that will be when we get it, not any sooner.
    These things take a lot of time. And BTW, it looks reeeal good from here. Dam nice job.

Keep in touch.
    Ken
    "Floundering Around in Mediocrity For No Particular Reason...."
    Mrail

Post by Mrail »

I definately know what you mean, its always funny because I have a tendancy for coming up with completely insane ideas for logging stuff. Usualy I decide that it is just over the top, and then find a prototype for just what I was thinking of :) I did the cab that way intentionaly, because I think that many of the engines arround look too "normal."
    Trainzsam

Post by Trainzsam »

Wha... Wha... WOW! :shock: That looks really good! How long have you been working with GMAX? A few months? The reason I ask is it took me about 6 months to get to the point where I could do stuff like that. Maybe I don't need to do the 30in one after all...

Sam
    Mrail

Post by Mrail »

Yeah, just 2 or 3 months with gmax, but the amount of 3d modeling in other programs I do is probably bad for my health :roll: . I use autodesk inventor for a class in school, and then at home I tend to end up using sketchup for designing various things in the real world.

I guess I ought to start a new thread instead of stealing Rick 's.

The new one is here
    thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Hey hey, what's all this 'thievery' going on around here? :lol: :lol: :lol: (Don't suppose I can get too upset, though... It is a Shay. 8) )

That's looking good! I need those engines kit-bashed to a two cylinder version. The center cylinder needs to be removed and the other two slid next to each other.

Ken is right, there is no 'normal' when it comes to the logging industry. Remember, this industry was mostly set way back in the woods or high in the mountains away from anything or anybody so, if they needed it, they built it or converted it with whatever they had on hand.
    Also keep in mind, that they were money hungry individuals and did it as cheaply as they could.

Rick