V&T route restarted

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Pencil
Site Admin

V&T route restarted

Post by Pencil »

I couldn't stay away, so I created a new set of baseboards using TransDEM, and have started the scenery for a new incarnation of the V&T.
I've picked 1918 for the initial period, since I have a decent set of track maps and railroad building descriptions from that year. It *shouldn't* be too hard to backdate, for anyone more interested in the earlier history of the route. And, I may split time periods anyway - the line to VC I may set in the 1880's, similar to the earlier project.
Because I'm sick of the VC area right now :) I've started on the other end of the route, in Reno.
Here's a pre-vegetation shot of the V&T yard in Reno. After I get the vegetation in, I'll start on the downtown area and the SP trackage.

Looking north across Mill St:
(Click on the picture for a larger image)
jayo

Post by jayo »

You like to model a certain period! Me too! When you think about it, the Trainz V&T RR is very similar to the real RR, in more ways than we may have intended :wink: .
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Ooooo, this is gonna be nice!
Lookin' forward to it.

:D
Rick
TRS 2004 Deluxe Edition v2.4 Build 2365
Creating in 3D Canvas Pro
Web site = http://allricksstuff.com/
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

Curtis
If you would like some help "vegetating" the route, I'll be only glad to assist. Kinda like re-paying a favor.

Ken
"Floundering Around in Mediocrity For No Particular Reason...."
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Thanks, Ken - I may very well take you up on that at some time - I have a feeling it's going to be too big for me to do on my own. For the moment, however, I'm having fun :)

Again, click on the pic for a larger version...
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

He he, that is lookin' sweeeet, Curtis!

Oh, btw, Ken is one of the best 'veggie' men around. I put him right along side Gor.

Rick
Col Hogan

Vegetation and The Route

Post by Col Hogan »

Curtis
I have two routes that I've been working on for about 6-8 months and both are heavily detailed. I love to put trees and grass everywhere.
One is a DEM version of the "Pino Grande" which, for me, is a logging and mining railroad and the other is a flat version of my own I call "Southern Farms". It looks a lot like what you might see here in the South riding on some of the small two lanes and a few dirt-farm roads in between.

Rick is being too kind. I look at the route from ground level as does Gor and continually put stuff in place. If you want a preview of some of my grassy country, I will provide a few pics. "Southern Farms" is nearly done, BTW.

If you don't have a strong enough PC, well............you know.........:roll:
I'll be here.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Hey Ken,

I'd love to see pictures of your work :)
I'm building the route in trainz classics (surveyor seems to be a bit more stable than in previous versions; and it seems to run faster). I'm being careful not to use any built-in content (I never imported '06 into TC, so there should be no dependancies there, either). Also, I'm not fixing any errors in content I download - if it has errors, I just delete it. It limits my ability to use some content; but it will make the route much more user-friendly for anyone who downloads it. (Or so I hope!)
Anyway, once I get some more work done on the route, I'll kick it over to you for some scenery work. We'll need to figure out how to merge each other's work after that, but hopefully that won't be too hard.
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

Curtis
If you have some room in the Gallery, perhaps I could send a few of them in that direction. Or, if you prefer, we can swap them here. No issue with me either way. I'll get a few ready 2nite.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

There's plenty of room in the gallery - what would you like the name of the album to be?
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

The Overland Hotel; right across from the SP passenger depot. The tracks in the foreground belong to the V&T, having left the SP mainline and are on their way around to the back of the SP depot.

thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Now, that's a WOW! LOL

Rick
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Thanks, Rick!
Believe it or not, that's all done with texture - the walls are perfectly smooth...
Here's an overhead shot of the Reno yard area:
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Pencil wrote:Thanks, Rick!
Believe it or not, that's all done with texture - the walls are perfectly smooth...
Now that is a WOW!!!

Fantastic texturing, man! (And I thought I was good... :? )

Rick
nwhitney

Post by nwhitney »

That's a mighty nice neighborhood.
Norm