Updated a couple of items on the DLS

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Pencil
Site Admin

Updated a couple of items on the DLS

Post by Pencil »

With the new error-finding abilities of TS2009, I've identified a couple peices of previously released content that had a couple of errors. All of my 34' coaches and the CP caboose have been fixed and uploaded. My ore cars have also been fixed, and should be available when Auran posts the next bunch of content to the DLS.
jayo

Re: Updated a couple of items on the DLS

Post by jayo »

Good! Unfortunately I just uninstalled my TS2009 in anticipation of the final version so I'll just have to wait a little. You may as well optimize your Moguls for TS2009 as well. :roll: BTW pencie, you thought of maybe adding V&T 4-6-0 numbuh 25 to your to-do list? It would fit in nicely with your V&T layout 8) .

And check out the engine I got earlier in the month!

http://www.hobbystation.net/index.asp?P ... rodID=1362
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Nice engine!

The fixed cars are still versioned for '04. The moguls will be tc3+, though (once I fix the nagging animation issue......)
Yes, the ten-wheelers are on my (eventual) list.
jayo

Post by jayo »

You may want to move them up to TS2009, taking advantage of the improved graphics capabilites. :roll: You maybe should start the ten wheelers when the V&T layout is closer to being finished and then release them together!

Has anybody heard from Collin since his computer crashed?
bdaneal

Post by bdaneal »

Pencil wrote:(once I fix the nagging animation issue......)
Animation issue?

Cheers,
Ben
(Killing the TC3 advantage, one step at a time)
jayo

Post by jayo »

bdaneal wrote:
Pencil wrote:(once I fix the nagging animation issue......)

(Killing the TC3 advantage, one step at a time)
... :roll: Personally, I rather liked TC3, though now ith TS2009, be my guest! :lol:
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Animation issue: part of the running gear animates properly in GMAX, but is offset by a couple of inches in Trainz. I probably just need to replace some of the bones & reattach the parts, but since I just modified Ben's 4-4-0 gear, I don't fully understand the animation, and have been procrastinating looking at it.

I have not heard from Collin since last winter. He was due to get married this summer - if that happened, I expect he's been otherwise occupied.

I don't know of any graphics improvements relating to locomotives between TC3 and TS2009. As for optimization, I'm trying to reduce the total number of textures, but there's no way I will get it down to one without spending an inordinate amount of time. I'll also do a couple of lods, just for fun.
The 4-wheeled ore and flat cars can be optimized at the expense of pre-TC3 compatibility by reducing the number of bogeys from 3 to 2 per car, and having all the 4 wheeled cars use the same bogey.
jayo

Post by jayo »

Well surely, err... I mean, pencil you could make the boiler and wheels glossier and more rounded... :roll:
bdaneal

Post by bdaneal »

jayo wrote:Well surely, err... I mean, pencil you could make the boiler and wheels glossier and more rounded... :roll:
:roll:?
That can be done in TRS2004 as well. The glossiness you speak of is not new on locomotives, just ground textures. Likewise, boilers can be made with as many polys as a person wants for any member of the Trainz series. In any installment, it is a balance of looks v. performance.
Cheers,
Ben
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Aye, the main reason I'm targeting TC3 and later is the new bogey tags make it much easier to keep the pilot truck on the track on curves, while still allowing for an animated front drawbar. Secondary is that I'm lazy (I only want to write one enginespec) so I might as well do it to the new standard.
jayo

Post by jayo »

bdaneal wrote:
jayo wrote:Well surely, err... I mean, pencil you could make the boiler and wheels glossier and more rounded... :roll:
:roll:?
That can be done in TRS2004 as well. The glossiness you speak of is not new on locomotives, just ground textures. Likewise, boilers can be made with as many polys as a person wants for any member of the Trainz series. In any installment, it is a balance of looks v. performance.
You're probably right. TRS2004 models are quite realistic, not really much further you can go in that respect. Just look at the PB15 and the Scotsman, which is definitey an improvement over MSTS!