Caboose No 9 Download

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
brucemarshall56

Caboose No 9 Download

Post by brucemarshall56 »

Curtis,

I have downloaded Caboose #9 1873 from the download station this morning. The description in the download had "Sway Script Library", when I went to view it there was "!" in the window. Upon viewing the error & warnings it said "YL" is not a valid valve for top "category-class". This tag is now empty and a new valve must be selected.

What is this and how do I fix it???

Thanks

Bruce
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: Caboose No 9 Download

Post by Pencil »

Good question - which version of Trainz are you using? I'll see if I can reproduce the issue here.

Curtis
brucemarshall56

Curtis,

Thanks for responding! I am using Trainz 2009, Build 41844 and Version 3.1.

If you don't mind my asking, what maps are you using for your terrain??

Thanks again

Bruce
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I no longer have that version installed. So, let's try this:

Open Content Manager and find the asset in question (Sway Script Library)
Right-click on the library and choose 'open for edit in Explorer.'
In the corresponding window, open config.txt with notepad or some other simple text editor. Look for the line that starts with:

category-class

and change the entire line to:

category-class "YL"

Hope that helps!

For maps on my terrain, I'm using WMS Microsoft Bing (I believe - it might be Google maps instead, but I *think* I used MS)

Curtis
brucemarshall56

Curtis,

I went in and did what you had suggested. The category-class was already "YL". It shows up in Surveyor and I had it on the layout and it seems OK. Thanks

On the maps you are using, is WMS Miscrosoft Bing working with TransDem? I am going to look at Miscrosoft Bing.

Thanks again, Bruce
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Hi Bruce,

Yes, both Microsoft and Google imagery works with TransDem. Both are generally equivalent, but I think Microsoft has a bit more lenient license for use of their images. Of course, I'm not a lawyer, and could have totally misinterpreted the licenses :)

Curtis
brucemarshall56

Hi Curtis,

I was just wondering if you could do me a favore and give me the steps on the Following:

1. Your DEM, I would assume you use WMS Microsoft Bing
2. Maps/Orthro images, Georeferenced Raster Maps.
3. Basic Vector Data, to mark the course of you route.

I have tried Google Maps and can not get a good representation of the terrain in Virginia City. I have traced the route like in the tutorial but when I join all three together I get no track spline and the terrian is not representative of the area.

Any help you could give me woul be appreciated!!

Bruce
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Hi Bruce,

1. For the DEM, I used NED data from the National Seamless server, as described on page 20 of the TransDEM documentation.
2. For the maps / ortho images, I used WMS Bing via map tile services, as described in Tutorial 7 (p 126 in the manual).
3. For the basic vector data, I more-or-less just followed the scars and roads visible on the Bing images as downloaded in step 2. I don't have it lay track automatically, but rather just put a line on the terrain in the approximate position. I then lay the track by hand; using the line as a rough guide.

If you'd like, I can try and export the raw route in TS2009 format for you?

Curtis
brucemarshall56

Hi Bruce,

1. For the DEM, I used NED data from the National Seamless server, as described on page 20 of the TransDEM documentation.
2. For the maps / ortho images, I used WMS Bing via map tile services, as described in Tutorial 7 (p 126 in the manual).
3. For the basic vector data, I more-or-less just followed the scars and roads visible on the Bing images as downloaded in step 2. I don't have it lay track automatically, but rather just put a line on the terrain in the approximate position. I then lay the track by hand; using the line as a rough guide.

If you'd like, I can try and export the raw route in TS2009 format for you?

Curtis,

I haven't been on the computer much since last Saturday. We had our computer crash last Saturday. We lost everything from pictures to Excel & Word files. My son-in-law came and get us back up. I had to e-mail Roland Ziegler on reinstalling TransDem. I have reinstalled TransDem, Trainz 2009 & 2012.

I would love if you could export the raw route in TS2009. The only problem is that you will have to help me retrieve it.

I will try the above just in case. I am using:
1. For Dem-The National Map Viewer
2. For the maps/ortho images-I use Google Earth
3. For Vector data-I use the Google Maps and trace the route from VC to Carson City. Like you I don't need the track splines I am going to use the track I have downloaded from the DLS that you did.

Again thanks for all your help.

Bruce
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Hi Bruce, I recommend Curtis' Track 60lb if you are modeling a railroad from 1860-1900. It is a very, very nice track, by far my favorite right now.
brucemarshall56

Curtis,

I had downloaded the track both tan & grey, but lost them when my computer crashed last Saturday. I am going to download them again from the DLS.

I would love if you could export the raw route in TS2009. The only problem is that you will have to help me retrieve it. How will this work. Do you have the entire route??

Thanks for your help.

Bruce
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Hi Bruce,

The route is in two parts; the route itself and the custom ground textures. The custom ground textures are merely intended as a placeholder, but if you zoom out or use the map view, you should be able to see a satellite view of the area.

Map file: http://www.carsoncarshops.com/files/vtrr_route_2009.zip (200 MB)
Ground textures: http://www.carsoncarshops.com/files/cus ... xtures.zip (160 KB)

To use, download and unzip, then drag and drop the folders into CM.

The first time you open the map in surveyor, it should put you somewhere in Carson City. There'll be a grey line that approximates the track location.

Hope this helps,
Curtis
brucemarshall56

Curtis,

Many thanks for what you do. I will give this a try later today.

Thanks,

Bruce
brucemarshall56

Curtis,

I unzipped the two files. Then I tried to drag & drop into CM. It would not let me drag & drop in CM. Where in CM should I be dragging & dropping the folders? Should I be importing the content?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Importing would also work. For dragging and dropping, you would drop into the main window where the content is listed.

Good luck!
Curtis