Starting Over

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Kegg_Works

Starting Over

Post by Kegg_Works »

Hey all, long time no see!

I don't know how many, if any, have followed the few posts I've made her in the past. But some real life circumstances have made the progress of some of my routes rather... slow to say the least. Route building is probably my favorite aspect of Trainz and I get a real kick out of it!

However I'm starting over and I've FINALLY acquired TRS12!! Well.... as soon as it arrives in the mail anyway...

That being said any of the routes I was working on will either be scrapped and given a fresh start, or will be upgraded to TRS12. Here is a short list of the routes I'm working on and some of them may interest you and once they're finished I'd like to offer them up for public download.

First is Carbon Canyon: A fictional 30" gauge line set in Arizona between 1915 and the early 1920s, running through the arid desert and through a deep river canyon to haul copper and copper ore from the mines in the canyon to an interchange with the Standard Gauge.

Second is the United Verde & Pacific Railroad: Another copper hauler which between 1894 and 1921 hauled copper from the smelter in Jerome, AZ to the Santa Fe, Prescott & Phoenix RR at Jerome Jct. (Today Chino Valley, AZ) The line is just over 26 miles long and has 186 curves, most of which are compacted within the western half of the ROW. Thanks Again, Pencil, for the DEM Map!!

And Thirdly, and most eagerly, is the Fiddletown & Copperopolis Railway! This was my first route announcement here on the forum and it is one I've really been wanting to work on. More details can be found in this thread and it is also where I'll continue to post progress reports.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=416

I recently laid out the track, roughly and although I like how I'v managed to work on curves I may start from scratch again. I'll try and get some screen shots of what I have presently and post them for you on the F&C thread.

I'm really eager to receive and install TRS12 as there is SO much more awesome content to be had with it. And it will make all these routes really shine!
Eat Yer' Beans...
Route Building A.D.D!! :wink:
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: Starting Over

Post by Pencil »

Sounds good; I'm looking forward to them! The Fiddletown & Copperopolis looks especially intriguing :)

Curtis
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Yes, the F&C Ry is one I'm really stoked to get working on! And I absolutely can't wait to use some of the content you've made, especially track with flange squeal. Which will add much to the atmosphere of the route with its many sharp curves and steep grades. The way up to Poison Peak Pass will be a real challenge with its steep 6% grade! Another thing I love about Carl Fallberg's book is that at the back he even created a time table and an explanation of signs and notes for passengers. One I like he made was for Westbound trains. "NOTE: Westbound trains travel 8.2 miles farther because of slippage of engine drivers on 6% grade between Bicarbonate of Soda Springs and Poison Peak Pass."

Also there will be quite an elevation difference between the pass and either end of the line given the climb up to the pass, which is about the halfway point. I think the pass is a mild parody of Cumbress Pass as it has a wye covered in a snowshed. Though that's just my own speculation.

I do have one question for you though... is there a weather vane detail asset for Trainz? Odd question I know, but in the at least one of the water tanks has one at the peak where a lightning rod or spinneret would normally be. Also either end of the snowshed seems to have an ornate spinneret on the roof. Although I know I can't recreate EVERY detail that's in the comics in the route, but I'd like to be as accurate as I can.
Eat Yer' Beans...
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Try KUID2:117948:1181:3 on the DLS for a weather vane. If that won't work, post a picture of what you are looking for.

Thanks,
Curtis (who still needs to order the book)
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Okay, I'll try that and see what comes up. In the meantime here's a screenshot of Copperopolis!

And for reference here is an image from the book:

Now once I get TRS12 (should arrive not this, but next Thursday) I'll have far more building options to choose from, off the DLS and other sights to. I've been carefully making a catalog, of sorts, for myself as to what I'd like to download and commit in Trainz for this route In the end I'll probably scrap this current attempt and start fresh. I think the F&C has the potential to become one of the best narrow gauge routes for Trainz, and I don't say that boastfully... It's a near perfect blend of TOC railroading and there's something for just about anyone to enjoy! :mrgreen:
Eat Yer' Beans...
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Nice job - that really does capture the setting in the book!

Curtis
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Much Obliged!

While scouring the DLS I found an environmental sound file for an old west gunfight. I think it would be fitting in this scene. :lol:

Also, I was looking through your track selection and I can't wait to try some of it out, especially the track with added flange squeal. (I know I mentioned that already, but I can't wait to see way TRS12 has to offer!) But I noticed all the track has milled ties, do you have any track that's hand-hewn? Most of the F&C track is that way, but the milled ties would still work. Its more of a curiosity question than anything else.
Eat Yer' Beans...
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

No hand-hewn yet, though I can knock something out relatively quickly. I have a model mostly done, it just needs some texture work, lods, optimization, etc. Just another thing on the back burner.....
hewn_track_wip.png
hewn_track_wip.png (38.36 KiB) Viewed 34489 times
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

There may not be much there, but it does show promise! I like what I've seen so far, even without the textures and ect! :D
Eat Yer' Beans...