Virtual Gilpen Movie

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
meconicuk

Virtual Gilpen Movie

Post by meconicuk »

I was looking through the website Links i n the Members List and found the 'Gilpen Tram' site.

I downloaded the 11 minute Trainz movie and must have watched it about a dozen times. I keep noticing things I missed along the route.

Had a shot at 'editing' the large file into a 7 minute(59Mb) clip with a soundtrack tagged on.
I sent a Low grade 'sample' of movie to Mark and if he gives approval I'll try and put the 7 miinute slice on Youtube.

I really think that this is the way to go for 'profiling' a layout to Joe Public.

The Yahoo Civil War Group have a MSTS layout of Atlanta cica 1862/3 which was about 75% done. It would be great to see a film of the W&A in action.
Mac.
Collin

Post by Collin »

Yes I think you are correct about the movie concept. Marks Gilpin certainly comes to life.

I take it you also liked Gods & Generals. I had read the book and thought that it was him who should have won the Pulitzer as it was a far better book than Killer Angels (Gettysburg) by his father. The film likewise was a much better film.

Sometime after the next 2 years (the time I am estimating for completion of the V&T) I have list of 10 projects for Trainz the latest of which is pre 1900. One of these is a Civil War version of the Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac.
Collin
meconicuk

Post by meconicuk »

I keep re-playing the Gilpin Trainz movie to spot things I've missed. The part where the train comes around the Shed and runs up the hill is really well done.

Re' Gettysburg and Gods & Generals: I preferred the former as there was more action the battlefield.
I thought Gods & Generals was too heavy handed on the florid speeches ( and I'm a ACW fan: God knows what the average punter thought!) though it does have the priceless clip when the Union troops loot a town and run riot. I'm sure I'd have done exactly the same.

My favourite Civil War movie is still 'The General'(1926) despite it being a comedy. A lot of the scenes look like they're out of a Matthew Brady photograph.

You're going to be rigged up to a Life Support unit by the time you complete your list of 10 projects Colin! I've got enough trouble trying to do 1 layout.
Mac.
Collin

Post by Collin »

Cant wait for Mark to get it finished and released.

With my interests in movies and History I was much more appreciative of Gods & Generals, it was obvious the team making it was more experienced after Gettysburg. The cinematography was better, the history more accurate and the acting superb.

Yep the General was brilliant. Buster Keaton was extraordinary when you consider it was all one take with no rehersals.

We are lucky that in building the Virginia & Truckee we can see Locos and Equipment in celluloid. The General used 2 V&T locos. Its remake told from the union side The Great Locomotive Chase used 2. Union Pacific used 3 along with any western that used something close to prototypical had at least 1. One even appeared in God & Generals.
Collin