Nevada County Narrow Gauge Update page

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
whecsailor

Nevada County Narrow Gauge Update page

Post by whecsailor »

Hi all

I will use this page to periodically let you know of status and updates on the Nevada County Narrow Gauge, The Old NCNG aka Never Come, Never Go. She has been my pet/model subject of my railroad for nearly 25 years.

The NCNG served the main towns of Grass Valley and Nevada City along with the numerous gold mines in those locals. Her railhead was in Colfax, where she coexisted with the Central Pacific for nearly 65 years 1880's to the early 1940s. Alsas with all good things, they must and and with the advent of the highway and truck, so went the NCNG. She exists now only in memories, books, and lore.

The place is California Gold country, era about 1930's,
whecsailor

update 1

Post by whecsailor »

Hi

COLFAX
Since the last update in trains, Colfax boards are now in and terrained, about 40 buildings must be made for this local.

Colfax Station, and there Express shop are now in place, lighted (thanks for showing me penicl42) and earning revenue

OILVILLE completed, need a more correct armstrong turntable, working on it.

Chicago Park Completed and terrained.

Terrained all the way from Nevada City to Grass Valley and from Colfax to the Bear River Bridge.

you will find progress photos here
http://www.pbase.com/dasredbaron/trainz ... r&page=all
meconicuk

Post by meconicuk »

Had a look at the pbase gallery and the photo's look very good.

Any reason for choosing 1936 as the period?

If you've got any video's ofyour line I could edit them and stick
a soundtrack on; for use on Youtube.Let me know if you're
interested.
Mac.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

It must be fun driving a train across the Bear River bridge - you've certainly captured the scary feeling from the photographs :)
If you need a hand with the Oilville turntable, let me know. I'm at work and don't remember exactly what it looked like, but I have a couple of different styles of flat decked turntables now (and need to make more!)
Congrats on the Colfax depot - it looks great!!
whecsailor

for meconicuk, why 1936

Post by whecsailor »

Well, in studying the route and available photos and plans, 1936 was just after the fire that destroyed some shops in Grass Valley, and before the fire that destroyed the Grass Valley depot in 41. Plus there are no known good photos or plans for those shops, 1936 to 1942 period are well documented, so I chose the lazy way to make it,, the era I had documents. If ever I find documents or plans for those engine sheds in Grass valley, then the layout could be made to match any era from 1901 onward.

I thought of making it a winter layout, and when complete with the summer , just may winter it up too. Just for the fun of it!

For Pencil, I will scan the pics I have of that turntable and email to you in two days, when I am back home. any help I will greedly accept. :D
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Thanks, Mike!

I have Best's 'Nevada County Narrow Gauge', which has a nice picture on p. 146, but that's all I have. If you have others, that would be great! Also, any dimensions would be helpful, as well.

Curtis