Here's another potential project. The Caboose.

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
thegrindre

Here's another potential project. The Caboose.

Post by thegrindre »

Ken,
I'm sharing this one only because you may be interested.
It's the first attempt to re-skin the caboose and it looks a little pink in the game, (got to adjust this), but if you want me to continue, I will.
Obviously, this was a quick re-skin and there's a lot of work to do yet.

Do you want the Elk River road name?
Should I keep it new looking or weather it?
How about aging it as an old used piece of rolling stock and nameless? (Similar to this flatcar, viewtopic.php?t=83 )

Here's a little update;

Rick
TRS 2004 Deluxe Edition v2.4 Build 2365
Creating in 3D Canvas Pro
Web site = http://allricksstuff.com/
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Here's a little narrow gauge in game action... :D

OK, later... :)
Rick
bdaneal

Post by bdaneal »

I wonder, could the ends of the cupola be made to match the main body color, or would that change the color of the doors and window frames? Also, the main body color seems too light. Try making it a bit darker, closer to this:
light
slightly darker
When I think of "caboose red" I generally think of that sort of red. Most railroads down here painted them that sort of color.

On the subject of Southern Railway and narrow gauge, I wonder if the SRy's narrow gauge lines had any cabooses, and if so what they looked like?

(BTW, I think you are the first person to reletter my 2ft gauge shay)
Cheers,
Ben
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

I agree with you, Ben, the color is a little too bright. I was trying to copy this one, viewtopic.php?t=83 but it came out too pink in-game. (I'm still adjusting.)
The window frames and the copula are using the same mapped area. That was a little disappointing when I discovered it.

He he, I gotta re-skin most everything... :D My route is the, Rocky Ridge RR and Lumber Co. so I've changed the road names of all the engines I'm using. :)
(Oh, btw, that Shay of yours is a 3 footer, now. I've re-trucked it.)

Thanks for the input... :wink:
Rick
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

Rick
So far, it looks good. The color could be a more rusty-colored red something akin to Tuscan or terra cotta (don't have a sample).
In fact, while you're skinning, why not try an old, weathered wood looking like some of Slugsmashers logging buildings and if you can make the Elk River logo, teriffic !!

Well now, if you asking for input, you sure have it now. Try lightening-up the wheels, too. I can bearly see the outlines and the shiny parts of the rim. Otherwise, looks like you're doing a fine job. Any hints on how to start re-skinning ? You're becoming quite the entrepeneur of narrow gauge.

Ken

PS - You Have Mail
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Thanks a bunch. I love a little input, be it good or bad. Constructive criticism is the key to doing better work.

Keep it coming, I can take it... :lol:

I have darkened this little jewel nicely and will work on those wheels for ya, too. Aging it will be my pleasure... :D Unfortunately, I can't skin it exactly the way I want because of the author's mapping pattern but, things are working pretty well. (pics to follow)

Today is my last day of my FCT so I'm downloading everything I think I need.

You have a reply...

Thanks,

P.S. I'm using MSPaint, Irfanview, and The Gimp for all my skinning jobs. It's mostly all copy and paste with a little touch up. Just grab a pic from the Net and re-size it to fit and touch it up some where needed. Nothing very fancy here. It's really quite simple although there is a lot of trial and error and testing involved.
Rick
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Here's a little update.
I've toned down the red a bit and added solid wooden doors for now....

:D
Rick
bdaneal

Post by bdaneal »

I like that color much better.

I also found an answer to my earlier question about the Southern Railway's narrow gauge lines. There was indeed a caboose, number X32. (there might have been more, but that one was the only one in 1917) By the number series, it might have been a four wheel bobber.

In case I ever get bored, or just have some spare time to kill, do you want a 28-2 shay lettered for your railroad? If so, what details do you want on it? (i.e, early arc headlamp, oil burner, shotgun stack. I have tons of parts in stock, so just ask for what you want on it.) Grimy, dirty, muddy, rusty, dusty, greasy, a combination, or clean?
Cheers,
Ben
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Holy Toledo, Ben. What narrow gauge fanatic wouldn't? :D YES! Please I would like it to look well used. Open tool box, chains hanging off a little, a tool or two laying around. Catch my drift? I don't want a 'new' one. I'm not sure about rusty but, well used and dirty would be a dream come true. Oh, I'm a wood burner man. I love the smell of burning wood. (Don't forget the spark arrester atop the balloon stack...) :D

Did you say 3' narrow gauge? Right up my alley.

Oh, btw, if you really get bored I'd pay you to make a 3' version of Shay # CN 60... :D It looks very similar to the Dunkirk already on the DLS by Whecsailor.

Thanks man,
Rick
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

OK, folks, here's the final 'color' I'm sticking with as a 'new painted' version of this wonderful caboose. I've also toned down the solid wood doors a bit.

Next version will be an old worn well used caboose... :D

Does anyone know where Elvenor hangs out? I'd like to release this sweetheart with my re-skins on it.
Last edited by thegrindre on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Looking good!
Unfortunately, Elvenor passed away about a year and a half ago :(
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Gee, I'm sorry to hear that. Was he an old guy like me and his time was up? My condolences go out to all his friends, btw.
Does this mean we can't offer his re-skinned/modified content to the public anymore? (Hell of a question to ask after hearing this news, isn't it?)
Rick
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

It was a heart attack, iirc. Don't know how old he was. His son posted on the old forums, but I don't remember what he said regarding modifying Elvenor's content. I've seen some modifications of his content on the DLS since then, however.
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Thanks, Curtis.
Would anybody mind if I did release some of Elvenor's content with my re-skins on them? If so, I could release the skin itself to everybody.

Anyway, this one's for Col Hogan...

Did I do good, Ken? It's not completely finished but I don't think you'll notice the final differences much anyway.
Rick
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

You did real fine there, Rick. Looks real good.
Thankyou so much. Now I would like the Shay and Heisler you skinned only with nothing on it. You're doing such a fine job.

Ben, I will ditto Rick's request about the Shay. One more please.

Ken