(36NG) C&TL&FCo. 22' Flatcar

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
ferroequine

(36NG) C&TL&FCo. 22' Flatcar

Post by ferroequine »

History has repeated itself.

After attending the V&T Historical Society Conference I was inspired and dusted off an old GMAX model. With a little help from Curtis' source files I was able to convert my old MSTS version of this car and begin giving it some upgrades. I modified Curtis' CP truck into a 4' "Bliss" truck. The "Bliss" truck was designed by D. L. Bliss, president of the Carson and Tahoe, Lumber and Fluming Co. This style of flatcar was purchased from the Detroit Car Works and is heavily built (6 sills, iron bolster) for use in hauling logs/finished lumber. Interestingly enough, the "Bliss" truck finds use on the C&C and B&B.

I've still got a lot of texture work to do and then generate a set of LODs. There will be 2 initial versions of the car, one will have stake pockets as used to haul finished timber to the flume (shown); the other will have no stake pockets and gain heavy timber log bunks over the bolster.

Once texturing is done I'll share a beta.
ctlf-screen1.jpg
ctlf-screen1.jpg (111.13 KiB) Viewed 34677 times
ctlf-screen2.jpg
ctlf-screen2.jpg (114.57 KiB) Viewed 34677 times
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: (36NG) C&TL&FCo. 22' Flatcar

Post by Pencil »

Looking great - we can never have too much 19th century narrow gauge :)
Solomani

Post by Solomani »

Where did you find the plans for the flatcar and trucks? I am putting together a f scale model of a train that included one of these cars with an auxillary water tank on it.

Thanks,
John
Carson & ColoradoFan

Post by Carson & ColoradoFan »

Nice work so far!
May I ask what track is that? And is it for download?
. . . the Railroad that "began
nowhar, ended nowhar, an' stopped
all night to think it over . . ."

Jim Butler
Tonopah, Nevada
ferroequine

Post by ferroequine »

John,

The car and trucks come from a drawing by Herman Darr, Coronado hobbies carries his plans.

The track was made by Curtis and I am not sure if it is available for download yet, but will be in the future.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

I'll try and clean up the track and get it posted on the beta page at least, but it's a bit hectic here right now....
Carson & ColoradoFan

Curtis, That would be great if you could post the betas for the tracks, I already love them by the way they look, don't rush it though and keep up the good work on your route!
ferroequine, I will be waiting to get a hand on your content, looking forward to seeing more from you!

Jim Butler
Tonopah, Nevada
ferroequine

Post by ferroequine »

How about this:
ctlf-flat-at-colusa-jct.jpg
ctlf-flat-at-colusa-jct.jpg (150.62 KiB) Viewed 34572 times
One of these days I'll have time to finish the last details and get it released. I need to figure out NumberIt! too.

"Soon." :lol:
Solomani

Post by Solomani »

I started thinking about the disposition of some of the CTL&F cars and remembered that some had gone to the C&C which led me to Robert Bader's fine book "Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Locomotives and Freight Equipment". Sure enough on page 216 is a drawing by Mr. Darr of the C&C #105. There is a bit more info on page 337 and on page 340 there is another drawing by Mr. Darr of just of the trucks. I did not find any good photos however as these trucks may not have made it into the SP era. The records in Bader's book indicate the flats were sold back to the CTL&F about 1888.

Since I was on a roll I searched and found that there is an even better rendition of Mr. Darr's drawing of car #105 in the July/August 1985 Narrow Gauge Gazette. This one is annotated that this is a drawing of the car circa 1883 which is about what I am looking for.

Ferroequine... did these trucks have leaf springs? I can't tell from the drawings and photos I have seen so far.

-John
ferroequine

Post by ferroequine »

I had forgotten the drawing was put into Bader's equipment book. #105 was involved in a wreck that is captured in this photo. When I get around to the C&C versions of this car I will include the water tank load as I know Craig will enjoy having that for the B&B which had a similar car. C&C #108 became the SP flanger #108, and I will do that one too eventually.

Andrew
Carson & ColoradoFan

ferroequine wrote:How about this:
ctlf-flat-at-colusa-jct.jpg
One of these days I'll have time to finish the last details and get it released. I need to figure out NumberIt! too.

"Soon." :lol:
Looking better!

Jim Butler
Tonopah, Nevada
ferroequine

Nearing Beta

Post by ferroequine »

Over this last weekend I was able to spend some time working on the C&TL&F flat. I am pleased to report that I have finished:

New texture for the sides of the car, based on my reference illustration for the cars.*

First stake pocket is modeled and textured, next step is to clone it as needed.

I stupidly forgot to take a screencap of the stake pocket side, but you can check out the new lettering and auto numbers (using Number IT!).
ctlf-test-july6.jpg
ctlf-test-july6.jpg (191.5 KiB) Viewed 34186 times
Beta should be ready by the end of the month!

*: There is a plan in the works to build a replica of one of these cars for the Nevada State Railroad Museum (so Glenbrook has an appropriate car to haul). Last month, I took part in a roundtable discussion on the cars and created one of my "color match" illustrations to help get a feel for what the finished car should look like. I was reminded at this time that the lettering on the car was very likely red. Also important to note: By the time of the Lake Tahoe Railway & Transportation company, all of these cars were rebuilt to be 24' long instead of the 22' they were built. This means that the cars which went to the Nevada County Narrow Gauge were 24' as well. So I will only be releasing this model in C&TL&F and C&C lettering styles. In the future, I'll stretch the car out to 24' and create the later versions.

The preview version of that illustration is available here, take a look: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/196 ... AT-RED.png
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Very nice! Those numbers look a lot better than the ARN I've been using; I'll have to synch with you on how you did that!

Curtis