North Tahoe Narrow Gauge

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: North Tahoe Narrow Gauge

Post by Pencil »

That's purdy!
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Indeed it is, lol. Andrew has been kind enough to get me some scans from the Dayton book, and that has been instrumental...the tender is now gorgeously lined, and has a proper CP tender frame. The loco, too, has received a lot of attention in the form of retexturing. Many of the components under the running board are now black, and the lining over the pilot beam looks like it belongs to a small Welsh narrow-gauge locomotive.
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Solomani

Post by Solomani »

Now your talking. I have long been a fan of Mr. A. J. Stevens 'El Gobernador'. The original Central Pacific Super Power engine. I read that they would parade the engine past the inbound passengers from the east just to show off the biggest engine in the world.

-John
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Indeed they would; unfortunately that's about all it was good for. :? Still, it's a fun thing to build, and will give me much-needed parts towards the more successful Mastodon.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Gorgeous looking locomotive, Dan!!
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Thank you Curtis.
Now only lacking some brake rigging and reverser and cab detail.
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Distractions have occurred:
Though I suspect I won't mind having El Goob for a little bit if it means THAT BELL. :shock:
Seriously, I am quite happy with how TANE is running currently.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Those *are* nice :)
Those boxcars are showing their age, though, aren't they....

Curtis
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

They are indeed, though they are still pretty good. I keep meaning to update the ARN sometime...
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Those CP engines are looking fantastic!! :D
I'm particularly eager for "El Goob's" completion, and the enevitable 4-8-0 locos!

Question though about the CP paint schemes, were any of these AJ Stevens locos painted more colorfully? And by that Iean along similar lines of the Jupiter. I'm sure they weren't but I wanted to satisfy my curiosity.
Eat Yer' Beans...
Route Building A.D.D!! :wink:
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Several engines wore the same livery as Jupiter, but not because of Stevens...The "Caledonian" blue and scarlet livery was the standard livery of Schenectady Locomotive Works. Since I've so far only done Stevens' designs, they are generally either in his brown and black liveries, or the all-black of his contemporaries.
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

From what I've seen of the paint schemes you've shown so far both schemes look pretty good, especially the brown one. Any info on what El Gobernador's colors were?
Eat Yer' Beans...
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Based solely on one photograph and the position of the lettering in that photograph which matches the lettering position on the Jupiter I believe the Goob came out of the shops wearing the Caledonian color scheme or at least wore that scheme at some point in time. Trainboi1 says that she had at least three different paint schemes over her short lifetime. I can't wait to take her over the Tehachapi!
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

I can't wait to drive them in general! Though I think both the El Gobernador and CP 4-8-0s would look great with Jupiter-esque paint schemes. That's just my personal opinion though. Either way they are sure to be fantastic models which will look great on any old time or mountainous route. Perhaps even the SG version or Rollins Pass. :wink:

By the way, Trainboi, one question (though I think I've asked this before, but my memory can be short sometimes) will you also offer these engines in generic or unlettered schemes? I know that generic schemes might be popular with some of the more freelance modelers in the community. Just a thought is all. :mrgreen:

PS: Still EAGERLY awaiting the release of those C&C engines, even if they are payware. :D
Eat Yer' Beans...