Dev tools

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Solomani

Dev tools

Post by Solomani »

Hi,

Just a poll as to what tools are you using these days for Trainz content creation? What are some of the +/- for them in your opinion?

-J
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: Dev tools

Post by Pencil »

I'm using Blender for modeling, Substance Painter and Paint Shop Pro for textures, and Notepad++ for scripting

The only downside with Blender is that in Cycles, the texture parameters don't get exported. You need to export with a Blender renderer material - and the Blender renderer is no longer present n the upcoming 2.8 release.
There's a workaround in that you can have a material override file now, but that's a little bit more of a pain.

Substance Painter is nice for textures, though I still post-process the file in PSP to add things like lettering or some final tweaks.
PSP works pretty well, but it messes up TGA files with alpha channels. I do most of my Alpha channel work using DXTBmp.
I'm starting to use the Gimp more and more; hopefully I'll wean myself off PSP in the next year or two....

For scripting, it would be nice to had a code editor that highlights the reserved words and functions. Context worked nicely for that, but it's now defunct as far as I can tell.