3.10 TO YUMA

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
meconicuk

3.10 TO YUMA

Post by meconicuk »

Going to see this film today; as it got a good review.

Does anyone know about the Loco/Stock used for the Train(I think it's
set in the early 1880's).... or have they used the Yellow Narrow Gauge engine that's usually trundled out for Western movies?
Mac.
bdaneal

Post by bdaneal »

They didn't use the Durango & Silverton (the yellow train you mentioned). It was filmed somewhere in New Mexico, but I'm not sure where. The motive power and rolling stock is from the Reader Railroad. The locomotives used were #2 a 2-6-0 and #7 a 2-6-2.
Page on equipment being readied for movement to the film site.
Data on 2-6-0
Data on 2-6-2
Assortment of pictures of random subjects. The third picture down is an in service shot of the 2-6-0.
Cheers,
Ben
meconicuk

Post by meconicuk »

Well I saw the film and can tell you the train barely gets a look in.
Don't go for a piss or you'll miss it completely!

There's a gunfight where the two main characters take cover in what looks like Gizomat's Telegraph Shed.

The movie itself is quite good up untill the end when it goes off the rails with Ben Wades behaviour: Totally unbelievable!

Russell Crowe steals the film and gets all the best lines...I thought the most interesting role was the part of the Railroad Company (Southern Pacific?) Official. Why do the Railroad men in Westerns always get shown in a bad light? after all: they're bringing prosperity to the West.
Last edited by meconicuk on Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mac.
bdaneal

Post by bdaneal »

They're bringing prosperity to the west, but also civilization. Civilization is pretty much the opposite of a cowboy (as portrayed in the movies).
AFAIK, real cowboys didn't mind railroads. They actually liked them. Riding a day in a drover's caboose beats riding a week on a horse.

Of course, the deals made by many of the western railroads doesn't help things.
Essentially said by William Palmer
Your city didn't donate land to my railroad for a station, so I'll start a new town on the other side of the river
Done by a manager of the Union Pacific
I'll announce that we are going to build through there, sell the land, and then build somewhere else.
If you read a history of a big western railroad, you'll run into thing like these. Eastern railroads probably had similar sorts of deals going on, but I have only read histories of the D&RG and UP.
Cheers,
Ben