Animated stub switch proof-of-concept

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
bdaneal

Post by bdaneal »

No, stub switches and harp stands are backwards from what you think. When the target moves to the right, the points move to the left.

Curtis, I would suggest making the target vertical for the straight route. That seems the most logical and least confusing option to me.
Cheers,
Ben
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

This confused me for a bit too. The catch is that the lever bends the single set of rails, not the pair diverging like on a "normal" switch.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

OK, for those of you with '06 or later, feel free to give this a try:
http://www.carsoncarshops.com/files/turnout.cdp
You'll find it under the buildings menu in surveyor, like the other fixed track. By setting the properties in surveyor, you can also move the lever from side to side.
Source files are here for anyone wanting to make their own versions:
http://www.carsoncarshops.com/files/stub_switch.zip

As an aside, I noticed that the gauge on my track was a little wide, so I adjusted it to 4' 8.5" - the updated versions are here: http://www.carsoncarshops.com/files/track.cdp I did the gauge correctly on the switch, so you'll need these parts to match it.

Feedback is more than welcome. I haven't changed the lever to be vertical when the straight track was selected yet - I was thinking the target showed which way was blocked, but it makes sense the other way, also. Ironically, I had it that way first, but then changed it :D

Anyway, enjoy!
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Thanks to Bob and Andi, I now have setting the initial direction of the points in surveyor working. New version is uploaded - same link as before (http://www.carsoncarshops.com/files/turnout.cdp.)
I also adjusted the animation so that the lever is vertical when the points are in the straight position (and the junction now defaults to the straight position instead of the curved route.)
If you guys have any texture-quality photos of switchstands, I'd be happy to add them in as an optional choice. It should be low overhead to make that addition.
And, the 3-way switches now work (although there's a little more work that needs to be done regarding the robustness of the code...)

thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

All very good. Nice job!

Got queries about the stand, though.
In the shot directly above, I'm assuming the main line goes straight but the flag is red. I don't believe the flag should be seen on the main line but if it is, it should be green shouldn't it?

:D
Rick
TRS 2004 Deluxe Edition v2.4 Build 2365
Creating in 3D Canvas Pro
Web site = http://allricksstuff.com/
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

These harp stands only had lateral movement - if I can figure out how to create a video, I'll post what the motion looks like.
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

OK, to the right or left in other words. But I'm still questioning the red flag.
Logically, a green light is a clear sign to go ahead no mater which way the switch would be thrown.
Honestly, I don't really know.

Rick
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

True, but these switch stands didn't have any way to rotate the target - it was permanently affixed to the lever.
I don't know when exactly green came to mean 'go', but in the early days, white was used instead. Red has always meant 'stop', however.

On another note, would it be useful to be able to have the switch match more than one type of track? It wouldn't be too hard to do using texture replacement (especially for chunky mesh types).
If so, what are some popular KUIDs / names of track?
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Playing around, I was able to set different textures for the rails, so now you can have a rusty siding off a well-traveled mainline. I updated my track to 4 degrees of rusty-ness, and set the switchs to support all 4. Each branch of the switch can be set to one of the versions of track. This is what it looks like in a (simple test) yard:
Image Image

and an overhead shot of the 4 track types.

Thoughts / comments? Would this be usefull, or just needless complexity?

Curtis
Trainzsam

Post by Trainzsam »

What? needless complexity?!?! They look beautiful! Especially the one on the far right, heheheh. I need some good rusted out rails for my disused logging spurs. I would use all three shades of rust.

Sam
My newest motto: Narrow Mindedness: the utter fascination and all consuming love of all railroad equipment that is narrow gauge, I myself have an acute case of this disease, for which there is (fortunately) no cure
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

I'm not going to mention how great this is nor say that you did a wonderful job discovering it because it's for '06 and not '04... :wink:

Rick
bdaneal

Post by bdaneal »

Thoughts / comments? Would this be usefull, or just needless complexity?
I think it is brilliant! Almost enough to make me reinstall '06 (almost). I would like a different color of ballast, but I'm not sure what would be good. I'd say a slightly brownish grey. Grass covered ballast wouldn't hurt, either (just remember to grow some grass over the ties!).
Cheers,
Ben
nwhitney

Post by nwhitney »

Yep, count me as voting YES. I agree with Sam, that one on the far right is great.
Norm
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

If it's cool, it must be rust. If it's anywhere and it's rusty, it must be on a rail section.
Here is what RUST is: :roll:

Rather
Unsightly
Symptom of
Tarnish

Now, if you've got THAT, then sumpins' wrong wif ya. :?
If you're gonna have it, get a good dose, then you'll reeeeallllly have it.
Now, since ya'll have a good dose of it, why should I feel alone and
different. I want some too. I'll take a dose of the second one from the right.
You can't leave something heavy sittin' on a rusty railroad, now can ya??

That's why I'm different.
Bye 8)
"Floundering Around in Mediocrity For No Particular Reason...."
Trainzsam

Post by Trainzsam »

I was thinking of using the one on the far right for disconnected spurs that weere abandoned years earlier, where the rail was so old it wasn't even worth pulling up for scrap. I have another idea, how about some ballast and ties but no rail? Set up as a trackspline of course. Just for those old abandoned lines. :wink:

Sam
My newest motto: Narrow Mindedness: the utter fascination and all consuming love of all railroad equipment that is narrow gauge, I myself have an acute case of this disease, for which there is (fortunately) no cure