Shay Rebuild

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Mrail

Shay Rebuild

Post by Mrail »

I was not planing on saying anything about it untill I was fairly shure it would get finished. Now it is fairly complete and I brought it up in Rick's post, so here it is again.

I plan to make one in 3ft and one in 30in guage. I also may make other variations on it.

Paul
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Hey, that's pretty sweet, buddy! Love that stack! Nice wood burner for sure.

I need that engine kit-bashed to a two cylinder version. Sam's not sure he can do it and the running gear re-gauged to 36".

You any good at kit-bashing, Paul?

:D
Rick
TRS 2004 Deluxe Edition v2.4 Build 2365
Creating in 3D Canvas Pro
Web site = http://allricksstuff.com/
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

I could probably do that. I dont know much about animation, but I can probably adjust the one it has now. The trucks are essentialy 36" gauge ones with the wheels moved in 3" from each end to get 30" gauge, so evrything works right in both gauges. I dont think that would be any problem.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Wow - that's looking nice, Paul! I'm looking forward to seeing this progress!
Trainzsam

Post by Trainzsam »

That thing looks really nice. 8) And, yeah I've been having trouble with the rods of my shay, for some odd reason they refuse to appear in game.... :| I'll still give it a try though, maybe Pencil could give me a hand. I have a hunch that the parts somehow arn't parented to BR.Main in GMAX. I'll start a new thread about it.

Sam
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

I ran across the picture that the cab is losely based off of. As you can see, that one is even more crude than mine. It doesnt even have side windows!

Mrail

Post by Mrail »

Heres the my progress from one looooong day of texturing.

It wont be long now. :D

Mrail

Post by Mrail »

Ok, I didnt think I would get it to show up right tonight, but nothing went wrong :D . It works, although I will need to tweak a few things, like lightening it up so its not a black hole.

thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

WHOA!!! That's lookin' gooood!

I believe your ambient settings are off. In 3DC they're recommended at 50 but I use 35. 50 is far too light, IMHO.
Ask Curtis what he uses for Gmax texture settings.

Nice job, Paul.

:D
Rick
TRS 2004 Deluxe Edition v2.4 Build 2365
Creating in 3D Canvas Pro
Web site = http://allricksstuff.com/
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

I generally have the diffuse set to pure white (255, 255, 255), but sometimes adjust that, occasionally as low as 200, 200, 200.
Trainzsam

Post by Trainzsam »

WOW! That textue on the somebox and especially the cab look beautiful! By the way, try using a color other pure black, mix in a few others (like white and brown) and make it a little un-even. Or, just use the textures from the trucks, maybe darken up a nit and there you go! Its a lot easier.

Sam

By-the-way, that ones 30in gauge right?
My newest motto: Narrow Mindedness: the utter fascination and all consuming love of all railroad equipment that is narrow gauge, I myself have an acute case of this disease, for which there is (fortunately) no cure
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

Mrail
May I offer a suggestion - if you're done with it so far as the workings of it and all that is left is the texturing, allow some of us to give it a try
and submit it back to you and you choose which one to upload to the community.

I would love to give it a try myself. One more thing, how do you have the textures mapped ? If they are separate .TGA files, or something
on the terms that Curtis has done, either of those are easy to work with.

Great work BTW. Love every minute of it.
Ken
"Floundering Around in Mediocrity For No Particular Reason...."
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

Ken
I used seperate files for different textures, with a few exceptions where there is a reason to group stuff together. I doubt that much could be done as far as reskinning without remaping some of the parts. The black, for instance, is just done somewhat randomly. I was planing on some accomidations for lettering it, but I havent got to that yet.

If you want the source files in gmax. I can do that, but I dont think that anyone could do much with re-skinning it as is.

Sam
Yes, its 30in gauge.

Btw: I found by problem. Somehow something I did made my texture turn to pure black when I saved it.
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

Thanks for that info. I'll be happy to wait for your gift and I'm sure it'll look great once you're done. 8) :lol:
"Floundering Around in Mediocrity For No Particular Reason...."
Mrail

Post by Mrail »

Now thats more like it.

Now I need to deal with the running gear. Whenever it goes around almost any curve the drive shafts dont line up. :roll: theres plenty more to do, but atleast it looks finished now.