From TRS'06 and Higher . . .

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Col Hogan

From TRS'06 and Higher . . .

Post by Col Hogan »

Greetings All
Since there has been a profuse amount of 30ng rolling stock to become available, I've noticed that
it has been produced with newer versions of Trainz. (DUH ! - that's obvious) :roll:
Some of us are die-hards and won't budge from the ever-stable '04 version. Me, among them.

I do have a question for the newer clan of users who purvey the classics and '06 and '09 - and it is :::
How can it be possible to make the bogeys of the steam locos show up in Railyard and Surveyor ?

Not so much the Diesels, however, I have gotten the rolling stock to respond appropriately.
I'm having a devil of a time with the steam bogeys.
Are there any ideas pouring from those young minds ??
Thanks so much for help.

Ken 8)
"Floundering Around in Mediocrity For No Particular Reason...."
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: From TRS'06 and Higher . . .

Post by Pencil »

At a high level, you just replace the bogey container with a series of bogey tags. For example,

Code: Select all

bogeys
{
  {
    bogey                               <kuid2:124060:50036:1>
    reversed                            0
    rotation-permitted                  0
  }
  {
    bogey                               <kuid:-10:149>
  }
  {
    bogey                               <kuid2:124060:50016:1>
    sideplay-permitted                  1
  }
}
becomes

Code: Select all

bogey                                   <kuid2:124060:50036:1>
bogey-1                                 <kuid:-10:149>
bogey-2                                 <kuid2:124060:50016:1>
Note you will loose the functionality of the new tags above (sideplay-permitted and rotation-permitted), but that would only be noticeable on curves.

Other issues you might run into are:
- Steam enginespecs changed drastically in TC3 / TS2009; you are best off just replacing with a similar '04 enginespec.
- Bogey lod changed between '04 and '06 - in '04, you might see the lods change much sooner.
- Some new scripting elements have been introduced in each new version - the newer the version, the greater the likelyhood of script incompatibilities (although this is a low risk).
- There's a new smoke animation type in TC3 (anim2) which would need to be replaced.
- make sure *all* your dependencies are version 2.4 or earlier, and the configs are in that format. Change category-era and category-region to the '04 counterpart. You might also have to add the 'asset-filename' tag.

Hope that helps!
Curtis
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

More than a huge help, thanks Curtis.
Now my projects have some definition and now I have a new edge.
I'll get back to you with some results.

Ken 8)
Col Hogan

Post by Col Hogan »

Curtis :D
I am always drawn to amazing people. Today is no different having your answer help me out.
Ever since '06 has been out, I have struggled with the onset of conversion to '04.

Today marks a paradigm shift in my current knowledge base. You are now my most favorite
person in Trainz-land. I have printed this last message you gave and I will keep it close
when something else comes my way that I like. The TO Editor is also an amazing tool
from Terry Franks.

Thanks a million and for that you shall know that seven loco's will now run on my routes
that had not before and were '06 origin. Now are '04 compatible with Industry-active
uses as they were designed for. Curves are not a problem for the side-play and rotation
on the steamers. I might add that David111767 from the 30in Guys has a site that is all
30ng equipment and it all looks and runs as good as Ben Neals (thanks Ben) and has a lot
of his texturing applied which, to me, is very nice. Several Mallets and a Forney and a cattle
car that may have five different woods. Very interesting actually.

I suppose I could go overboard with my praise but I will end here.
Thanks again Curtis.

Ken 8)
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

No problem, Ken :)

The sideplay and rotation tags were new in TC3, so you won't run into that problem with '06 assets. And, since there aren't any TC3 or '09 steamers available yet, you should be safe for a bit...