need help relearning trainz!! GULP

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
whecsailor

need help relearning trainz!! GULP

Post by whecsailor »

Getting back into trainz after a hiatus, real world issues are finally settling down so I have a little time again.

I can't even remember a simple little thing like loading, unloading.

I have Gerds SSyms that loads panzers, running trainz 2004 build 2365,
sat it on the rails, and then the brain went dead, :shock:
How do I tell it to load the tanks? how do I tell it to unload the tanks?? :?:

and more important, 2009 or 2010, how do I script for that stuff?
I still have all my gmax files, but time to get them to the new level I suppose.

thanks, from a brain dead trainzer
Bigboy4010

Re: need help relearning trainz!! GULP

Post by Bigboy4010 »

Welcome back Whecsailor. Glad you get to finally enjoy a small portion of life's little pleasures.

So, in response to loading and unloading. If you are the driver of the train, you really just need to pull the cars you want loaded/ unloaded up to wherever they can be load/ unloaded. Once you stop, the cars will load or unload. if they are empty, they'll load at someplace producing the products. If they are full, they will unload at a place consuming the product.

Now, if you are setting AI drivers to the task, it is a bit different. You have to go down to the command bar, select drive to>> and then select your destination. Once that is set, you select the next command and tell the train to either unload, load, or both.

As far as scripting for 2009 and 2010, I haven't a clue. I'm still an 06 user, and I haven't even gotten into skilled content creation. Just a few pieces of track here and there so far. Sorry. I'm an empty mine on this one.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Good to see you again!!

For 2009 / 2010; the major change is using content manager. This will require some changes in your workflow, but I think the end result is better. I still create content in a separate directory as I did in 2004, but now, I just drag that folder into CM, and it imports it into the database and provides some nice error-checking. You can still create items with 2.4 build number, and CM will validate to that standard (with one exception*, below)

Scripting is largely unchanged, although some specific areas have changed (especially with respect to signaling.)

Steam enginespecs are completely different, and need to be re-done pretty much from scratch. I think they do a better job extrapolating performance from real-world specs, but the downside is all the older specs pretty much don't work any more.

There are some nice features - the ruler is now accurate when using Imperial units - the old one was 2-3% off, which really added up when doing a prototypical route on DEMs. Undo in surveyor works properly now. 2010 adds layers in surveyor, which is also very handy when working one a route. 2010 now prompts you if there are updated versions of installed assets on the DLS. I hear there is better support now for fixed track junctions, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

*Exception: CM now requires a thumbnail container to explicitly specify icons for the DLS or ingame. For a typical 2004-version traincar, it will look something like:

Code: Select all

thumbnails
{
  {
    image                               "porter_art/porter.jpg"
    width                               240
    height                              180
  }

{
    image                               "porter_art/porter_art_icon.tga"
    width                               128
    height                              64
  }
}
Hope that helps!
Curtis
whecsailor

Post by whecsailor »

I am thinking the problem is that Gerd made the SSyms wagons, made the product, (Panzer Iv and VI) but never made the Panzer factory to load and a ramp to unload! I cannot find a factory for these anywhere!