North Tahoe Narrow Gauge

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: North Tahoe Narrow Gauge

Post by Pencil »

Looks like a good start!
Trainboi

Ready to Export

Post by Trainboi »

Alright!
Truckee and Tahoe are ready for export; with any luck they'll have bogies by tomorrow.
The lining was based off Craig Hoefer's decal designs and Curtis's existing small moguls, so I'm not sure if it's totally accurate to the larger ones.
ferroequine

Post by ferroequine »

We can fix the striping fairly quickly once you're done with the mapping. The only thing I see that is out of place is the stripe around the domes would have been gold leaf instead of the white one you have there.

Other things that catch my eye:

The handrail stanchions look nice, but they're "too nice". You've modeled the highest quality Baldwin option there, something reserved only for the highest end locomotives. Reno, Genoa and Inyo certainly had them, but the rest of the locomotives had the more conventional design. I will see about getting you a photo. I thought I had the drawing for the stanchions but I seem to have lost it.
Also: The stanchions attach to a simple iron bracket, this bracket would be painted Wine.

Take a look at this: You can see what I am talking about right under the brass stanchion.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-I6oiYDIUYzQ/T ... 0_0592.jpg

The steam chest and valve covers have a bit of contour to them, they're not perfectly square, but the shape of the valve chest itself should be "squared" in the sense it has equal widths on the sides. Your rendition is a bit more rectangular. I might have the drawings for this part, I will check

The flow bowl (the brass on top of the steam dome) should have vertical walls rather than tapering out.

All of the above are minor changes that can be made later. What you've got is fantastic and will look the part regardless.
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

The Wine paint is done & ready for numbering:
Hopefully I'll have the Lake paint ready soon.
*Note that her inaccuracies have been fixed. Do tell if you see any more.*
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

The "Lake" Livery is done:
And DSP&P Waycar #64 has been re-painted for accuracy.
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Boy oh boy they look great!!!
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Indeed they do - nice work!
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Got something new. It's a little more modern, but still in the era.
Last edited by Trainboi on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Very nice! It would look right at home on the SP line through Reno :)
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

I'm certainly still learning about Blender. Took me quite a while to figure out the sky.
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Looks wonderful trainboi1! Can you/will you/ have you done a non-Daylight skin? As near as I can figure out the A6 was a workhorse of the SP local passenger service and all the photographs I've found so far show her without the Daylight livery.

Edit: Yay! Now on the black pages! It turns out there are four engines, yay! Three are not Daylight skinned, yay! (now I have an excuse to buy the other SP Harriman coaches from PaulzTrainz hehe)

Unfortunately there is a problem with the sound script it seems. :( and it looks like the wrong skins were included in the locomotive and tender files for the 3002 as they come up with the 3001 numbering.

Otherwise, GREAT! Thanks trainboi1!
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

OK, didn't catch that. Only 3000 hauled the Daylight service, so it was given the Daylight paint. Strictly speaking, it should have a considerably longer tender than the others too, but I didn't want to got through the bother of making it look good after stretching. I'm not sure what sound is missing, but I do get the error. Can't fix it because I have no clue what it is, but I don't mind. Better than that friggin' Falcon model. Sending and update for 3002 now.
Almost erased 3000's tender when I was working on correcting 3002. Just as well I can use Revert.(and that I have a version on the DLS to back me up if that wasn't there. I'd not have considered THAT when I started.) Anyway, I may do some Great Northern models in the near future. Just something to watch out for, the only western line that used Belpaire fireboxes that I can find.
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

OK trainboi1 after considerable head scratching I think I have figured out the sound error.
A6_3.jpg
A6_3.jpg (63.65 KiB) Viewed 53463 times
Looking at this error it dawned on me that it might be a spelling error or a pathway error but, in looking in the sound dependancy, I found no spelling error. I then tried removing the path "sound/" which didn't fix the problem. At this point (after more head scratching) I decided that there was something fundmentally wrong with the script steamlocomotive0905.gs. I had not had much luck finding a working locomotive that also used that script so I decided to just find a simple steam engine that worked and had a simple script. As luck would have it the first one I opened at random did use the 0905 script and it had a sound/ sub folder. D'oh! I copied that folder into a clone of your A6 and, villanova!, it worked without any error. Sounded a little strange but no script error. You may want to go back to the original engine that you got the script from and copy the sound/ folder into your locomotive files. I suspect that there may need to be some tweaking done. This seems likely to apply to your Saginaw & Manistee #4 locomotive too.

Cheers
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

I wasn't very happy with the sound fix above so I did a bit more research. Looking at the sound file's dependants I discovered that bdaneal, tbryson, and pencil42 had all used that sound file and that their implementation script was noticeably different. Poking around in some of the other locomotive scripts I would say that the 0905 was pretty old and that there are newer scripts that would be a better choice. I think.

I am also not so sure about the selection of that particular sound file as one of my sources lists 3000 series as being a 4-4-2VC although they were rebuilt several times. The VC references something that may alter the sound if I remember right.

On checking for more info on the A6 here http://espee.railfan.net/sp_steam_a-06.html I discovered that the 3001 also had the Daylight livery and together they pulled the Sacramento Daylight (train numbers 53 and 54) from Sacramento to Lathrop where the cars were merged into the San Joaquin Daylights. Kinda cool. Also the 3002 and 3003 may have worked on the "Watsonville Express" on the Southern Pacific's Mountain Line (Watsonville, Santa Cruz, Los Gatos, San Francisco) according to one photo I found. My old stomping grounds. :D
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

I would assume the VC is for Vauclain Compound, as the original 3000-3015 were Vauclain Compounds. They would have a different sound, but these were rebuilt A3s and weren't VCs.

The selection on that sound file is a little shaky, as I used a Stephenson sound for an engine with a Walshaerts gear, but it likely wouldn't affect the sound that much.

Anyway, I'd love to know what engine you got that folder out of. I used the 0905 script because that's what the cab requires; the engine I got it from doesn't have a sound folder.