The Mojave & Panamint Railroad

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Kegg_Works

Re: The Mojave & Panamint Railroad

Post by Kegg_Works »

Alright Curtis, as promised, here's a shot of the turntable with those new ground textures!

This is vast better than what was there originally so thanks a lot for doing that for me. :D

As a route construction update I have officially made it to Slate Range Pass!! This is the highest point on the Mojave & Panamint RR and there's an interesting set up here when it comes to the passing track and turning wye. The track has been fully graded, however there are still a few areas that need to have fill below the track or near it. I have a feeling I won't be able to get to that until Monday at the earliest, but we'll see.

I lament to say I don't have any screenshots yet, but I will get them to you post haste! :wink:

I do have a question though and perhaps you guys might be able to help me out. I plan on using some of Ben Dorsey's SPNG water cars as the M&P has to ship water from Valley Wells to Slate Range Pass as there's no water source there. Which is very inconvenient as southbound locomotives will be QUITE thirsty after tackling the 4% grade on the north side. As the summit there's a siding for where water cars can be dropped with a steam driven pump house to pump the water into the tank. Any suggestions on how to set that up? And better yet, make it interactive? Could be an interesting operating session in its own right.
Eat Yer' Beans...
Route Building A.D.D!! :wink:
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Well it is a GREAT day on the Mojave & Panamint RR, seeing as I have FINALLY reached Slate Range Pass!! HUZZAH!!! :lol:

Here we see one of the M&P Veterans, Ole' #2 waiting at the small depot at the summit. And yes, I've skinned another loco to add to the fleet. Only seven left to do now.... :shock: But that's for another time. :wink:

Here's another view from the depot looking towards the summit tunnel. Sadly it's obscured by the water tank and hillside.

I decided to have a little fun with this shot. Here #4 pauses on a siding during its switching duties to allow the M&P's crack passenger train, the "Mojave Cannonball" to pass after taking on water from the strenuous southbound climb. However for northbound trains the phrase "All Downhill From Here" takes on new meaning from the grueling 4% grade descending into the Panamint Valley. The northern slops of the Slate Range mountains are VERY rugged and so there are many sharp curves and bridges here. And perhaps even another tunnel or two.

Here's another shot of the "Cannonball" only this time northbound. Preferably I'd like to use Ben Dorsey's C&C caboose, but I want to re-skin that think into more appropriate passenger varnish. (Yellow with brown roof and trim)

There is one industry here and that is the Stealth Ore Bin and Mine. It's one of Ben Dorsey's creations, though I forget if it loads gold or silver. In any case I want to clone it and set it up for loading borax.

I have a bunch more screenshots, but I won't be able to upload them until sometime tomorrow. But I figured I'd post what I could. Hope you guys are enjoying it so far! :D
Eat Yer' Beans...
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Looking really nice!

For the water tower, it should be possible to load it from one track (the one with a water car) and unload onto another track. Should be a minor script. What water tank would you like modified? And do you have any images of said steam pump house?

I've made some tweaks to the turntable - I added a normal map to the pit, and did some work with the lods so it should be a little more efficient. It'll go up on the DLS as-is later this week if no objections.

http://carsoncarshops.com/files/desert_turntable.cdp

Curtis
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Pencil wrote:Looking really nice!

For the water tower, it should be possible to load it from one track (the one with a water car) and unload onto another track. Should be a minor script. What water tank would you like modified? And do you have any images of said steam pump house?

I've made some tweaks to the turntable - I added a normal map to the pit, and did some work with the lods so it should be a little more efficient. It'll go up on the DLS as-is later this week if no objections.

http://carsoncarshops.com/files/desert_turntable.cdp

Curtis
I've downloaded the file and installed it, though did it replace the original altered one? I seem to be having trouble locating them.

Also I took more screens of the summit and the north side of the Slate Range. I will post them later tonight. :wink:
Eat Yer' Beans...
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Looking forward to it! Yes, the turntable should replace the old one automagically, though it might be open for edit in CM.
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Curtis, I think I've installed the updated turntable, but I haven't gotten a chance to really take a good look at it in-game. So sorry about that. :oops:

But in the mean time here are a couple of other shots I've taken of the summit and part of the line on the norther slopes of the Slate Range mountains.

Here is the tank at Slate Range Pass. And also you can see the boiler/pump house and industry track. The idea is that trains hauling water cars would drop them off here and then the cars would be emptied by pumping the water into the tank for locomotive use and extra water into storage tanks. This scene is still very much under revision and I'm not too satisfied with the boiler house. I'd also like to make it industry active, but I don't know if that's possible or not.

As for the tunnel, I'm using Shortline2's large mine tunnel. The only drawback is that it's 2ft gauge and I don't know if the spline can be altered to use 3ft gauge track. Aside from the gauge difference the tunnel is PERFECTLY proportioned for these locomotives! I have yet to try running a larger 2-8-0 (like WP&Y #69) through it yet, but hopefully there will still be enough clearance for later, larger motive power.

In this image we see the Mojave Cannonball, northbound, plunging into the darkness of Tunnel No. 1. Right now it is the ONLY tunnel on the line, but that might change depending on how the line descends into the Panamint Valley. The northern slopes of the slate range mountains are very rugged, making this part of the line the most difficult. Not only from an operational perspective, but also form a construction one... :shock:

This was taken not far from the north portal of the summit tunnel/tunnel No.1. As you can see the topography is far less forgiving that the line leading up to Slate Range Pass. What also makes this a challenge for operation is the fact that not only are there very sharp curves, but also a constant, grueling 4% grade. Engine crews better stand ready at the brakes in case lest something happen.

But that aside passengers can take in the amazing vista overlooking the Panamint Valley. :wink:

TRS12 really doesn't do justice to the sights that this route. So I can't even imagine how things will look in T:ANE! Just on the other side of the Panamint Valley are the Panamint Mountains, which surely would be more than visible in T:ANE.

Clearly there hasn't been much grading and landscaping to help the grade blend into the scenery. There will be many a flange squealing curve on this leg of the journey. I may have to add seat belts to the cars! :wink:

I think that's about all for this installment. Next up is the next industry on the line, the Whitaker Borax Mine. And then on across the Panamint Valley to Ballarat! The northern terminal of the Mojave & Panamint. Though one thing I have been thinking about is an extension or separate company entirely going up to Panamint City, way up surprise canyon. What do you guys think?

Anyway, let me know what you all think so far! I really do appreciate feedback. :D
Eat Yer' Beans...
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

No worries about the turntable; I'm in no hurry.

Yes, I think we could make that water tank industry interactive; it wouldn't be much problem; even with loading it from the pump house track. If you are interested, give me the distance between the tracks and I'll see what I can do.

The route is looking really good!

Curtis
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Pencil wrote:No worries about the turntable; I'm in no hurry.

Yes, I think we could make that water tank industry interactive; it wouldn't be much problem; even with loading it from the pump house track. If you are interested, give me the distance between the tracks and I'll see what I can do.

The route is looking really good!

Curtis
Hey Curtis,

The tank is Slugsmasher's so I would like to avoid messing with it too much. I want to use as much freeware as possible as I would like to publicly release this route at some point. Same with my UV&P route when I eventually finish that. (It is to me what your V&T projects are to you) :wink:
So I don't want to alter his content without permission. So I'm thinking of using an invisible industry track for unloading the water cars. Of which I'm using Ben Dorsey's SPNG water cars, but I don't know if they're industry active or not. Worst case scenario I could probably add a session trigger for interactivity in scenarios.

I also started adding mile posts! Came up with a semi clever method for doing that. I loaded a route with accurately spaced mile posts and just started plopping down 50ft boxcars. I forget the exact number, but I reckon it was around 80 or 90+ with a generic bobber caboose at the end. It's not perfect, but it's good enough to place mile posts somewhat accurately! :mrgreen:
Eat Yer' Beans...
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

MILE POST 30!!!! :mrgreen:

Well actually a bit further than that, but I have yet to fully grade the track there. So I'm probably somewhere between 30 and 31 miles of track so far. Not bad for a 34-ish mile long railroad! ALMOST THERE!!!!

Anyway, so yes, progress has been made recently. I've graded the line up to about mile post 28 and what a crazy section of railroad it has been... :shock:

A friend of mine here, PCB, has done me a wonderful favor by re-skinning some contend for the M&P, including some of Elvenor's coaches and Ben Dorsey's C&C caboose. Which here is seen used to make a 'proper' Mojave Cannonball, the M&P's "Crack Passenger Train". The line's main revenue coming from mining and ore shipment so not much passenger traffic is seen. Anyway, a number of yards to the left and outside of frame was the summit tunnel/Tunnel No.1. The Cannonball is now drifting down the steep 4% grade into the Panamint Valley. The Northern Slopes of the Slate Range Mountains are far more unforgiving that the leg of the journey leading up to Slate Range Pass. With a moderate grade of 2.5%.

Here we see the Cannonball passing Milepost 24 and just about to cross a gulch trestle, one of many along this part of the line. I developed an odd, but effective method for placing milepost with approximate accuracy. I built a mile long consist of 50ft standard gauge cars and one bobber caboose. It's actually a few feet longer than a mile, but it's enough to "guess-ta'-mate" where to place mileposts. Seems to work pretty well!

The Cannonball crosses yet another trestle, just out of sight behind the mountain side in this shot. But as you can see the grade clings to the steep slopes of this desert hauler. Easy as she goes here, this is NOT a place you would want to derail... :shock:

The beginning of this trestle can be seen in the previous shot, but here the train trundles over it and then plunges into Tunnel No. 2. Originally I had the track go around the mountain, adding more sharp curves and bridges. However before I could save my 4 hours of progress the game locked up and I lost EVERYTHING up until my last save point... >_<
So when I opened up the game again I took a different route and I think it was the best choice. Granted this creates a pretty long, strait section of 4% grade, but It helped to cut mileage down as I want to keep the overall right of way down to 34 miles as much as possible. (As per Craig Tice's description) But in addition to that, tunnels are fun! And they look good to. :wink:
Tunnel No.2 is the longest one on the line. I really don't have a measurement for it, but it's a couple hundred feet easily, if not near 1k.
Also I'm using Shortline2's 2ft gauge tunnel track for the tunnels themselves. Her large one is perfect for this operation, however they do seem to glitch a bit, turning invisible for some reason. If anyone knows a remedy for that I would love to hear it!

And here the Cannonball exits tunnel no.2 and crosses another trestle. On the opposite side is tunnel No.3 And here is another minor glitch. IT doesn't show up when you're close to it so I'm thinking of using some of Colorado71's snowsheds to help conceal it.

Tunnel No.3

Exiting tunnel No.3.

That's about all I have for now, hope you're all enjoying it so far!
Eat Yer' Beans...
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Looks great and sounds like you are having fun. I love the caboose.
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

NormHart wrote:Looks great and sounds like you are having fun. I love the caboose.
Thanks, and yea I am enjoying myself. And part of it is figuring out where and how to lay the grade. I also think I may have miss lettered some of the mileposts. I may have accidentally skipped milepost 26 and labled it as 27. So I may have to renber them, which is okay. It's a minor hicup.

The caboose/combine was re-skinned by PCB though the model is Ben Dorsey's. However Trainboi has said he's working on his own model of the caboose or a similar one. So when that one is finished I may use it for the Mojave Cannonball instead. He also said he'd see if he could rebuild/kitbash one of his C&S moguls to be M&P #6, which I cannot thank enough for doing. Though it could be a little bit before we see it as he has some other real life obligations to contend with first.

By the way, did you update Prowler's 3ft gauge content for TRS12 and T:ANE? I've been wanting to get his RGS #20 and possibly use that for the lone 4-6-0 on the M&P roster.
Eat Yer' Beans...
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Great!

Yes I have all of Prowler901's stuff in TANE I'll check the RGS #20 and see if it is drivable. I have not test drove most of them.
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Kind of a shame no one has made any more 3ft gauge Ten-Wheelers for Trainz. Like the D&RGW's T-12 locos or even the ones used by the SPNG in the Owens Valley. Which I suspect are what nspired the 4-6-0 on Craig Tice's loco roster, seeing there was a lot of inspiration and influence from the N-C-O and SPNG.

The RGS #20 seems like it's the best fit for the M&P's lone 4-6-0.
Eat Yer' Beans...
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Yup, works in TANE, I'll check TS12 next. It does have the constant steam blow off from one side of the frame that many of Prowler's locomotives seem to have. Top speed in DCC is 42 mph, in cab looks OK. Sounds come and go as is typical of TANE.
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

I can probably replace the sound files for the locomotive to fix that issue. And hopefully it will run in TRS12.

As for the speed, the M&P has a top speed limit of 20mph. Though I may chand that to 25. Either way that loco's top speed fits easily within that window. :wink:
Eat Yer' Beans...